About the Role
Are you looking for a rewarding opportunity to inspire young minds and promote Deaf language and culture? Deaf Connect is seeking passionate Deaf Presenters in all states and territories across Australia to join our team and become positive role models for children in our community.
As an Auslan Storytime Presenter, you will play an important role in our Early Literacy program, captivating young audiences through engaging presentations. The presenter will lead story sessions at a library, with the support of a librarian and an interpreter who will sit among the audience, creating an inclusive experience for all children.
- Lead fun and interactive Auslan story sessions for children, using the Play School-style method.
- Select & translate books that are highly visual and can be easily translated into Auslan, ensuring they do not heavily rely on English forms such as rhyming.
- Choose words from the books that match the theme and are suitable for teaching Auslan signs to young learners.
- Create a friendly and inviting environment for question-and-answer sessions to encourage children to actively participate.
Required Skills and qualifications:
- Full fluency in Auslan and written English.
- Experience in working with children and a passion for promoting early literacy.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, specifically tailored for a young audience.
Deaf Connect is the largest, whole-of-life service provider and social impact organisation for Deaf, deafblind and hard of hearing Australians. We stand with the Deaf community to build capacity and influence social change while paying respect to history, culture and language.
Our organisational values of Heart, Courage, and Discovery stand with the Deaf community to build capacity and influence social change while paying respect to history, culture, and language.
We offer an attractive benefits program including:
- Salary packaging, enabling you to make huge savings on tax and maximise your pay
- Flexibility regarding working arrangements
- Discount membership to gyms and facilities throughout Australia
- Free annual flu vaccinations
- Free comprehensive online learning portal
- Free financial wellness support through our default super fund
How to Apply
If you possess the necessary skills and are eager to play a pivotal role in our Auslan Storytime program, we encourage you to apply.
To apply, please see form below.
If you have further questions about the role, you can contact our friendly People and Culture team on [email protected]
Deaf Connect is an equal opportunity employer. The successful candidate will require a NDIS WC and Blue Card prior to commencement.