What is Short-Term Accommodation?
Short Term Accommodation or respite is short breaks away from your home with a Support Worker to assist you in developing your independence and learning new skills. Short-Term Accommodation may suit your needs if your usual support network isn’t available for a short period.
What are the benefits of Short-Term Accommodation?
A short stay away from home can help you:
- try new activities
- enjoy a change of scenery
- step outside your comfort zone
- increase independence
- give your usual carers a break
What is covered under Short-Term Accommodation?
Short-Term Accommodation funding includes all basic expenses in a 24- hour period related to the service including:
- Accommodation: the cost of staying in suitable & accessible accommodation of your choice
- Assistance with daily living tasks: support with care, meals and other tasks as required
- Community access: support to participate in local activities and events
- Food: breakfast, lunch, dinner
- Activities you and we agree to.
What is not covered under Short-Term Accommodation?
- Transport to and from the accommodation
- Personal purchases and souvenirs
How is it funded and am I eligible?
The NDIS funds Short-Term Accommodation under the Core Support category ‘Assistance with Daily Living’. Short-Term Accommodation funding is flexible, so you can choose whether you want to use it all at once or spread it out over the year. Like with any support, the NDIS will fund STA if it relates to one of your goals outlined in your NDIS Plan.
If you have a Support Coordinator or Plan Manager, it is a good idea to discuss this with them to make sure you have the right funds to pay for Short-Term Accommodation. If you do not, we can support you in finding the information that you need.
I am eligible, what’s next?
To access Short-Term Accommodation under the NDIS, we will ask you the following questions:
- Your NDIS participant number
- Your funding plan and budget
- The reason for your request for Short-Term Accommodation – what are your goals?
- The dates that you require Short-Term Accommodation
- Where do you want to go?
- Any preferences for the type of accommodation you require (we will organise this accommodation for you)
- What sort of activities would you like?
- Any specific support needs or requirements you have
To find out more about Short Term Accommodation options, please contact us via [email protected].
Download the flyer here.