Published on: 17th August 2023
Maintaining Healthy Vision as You Age
As we grow older, taking care of our eyes becomes increasingly important. Good vision allows us to enjoy the world around us and stay independent. Here are some simple tips to help you maintain healthy vision as you age:
- Regular Eye Exams: As we grow older, taking care of our eyes becomes increasingly important. Good vision allows us to enjoy the world around us and stay independent. Here are some simple tips to help you maintain healthy vision as you age:
- Proper Lighting: Ensure adequate lighting when reading, working, or engaging in close-up activities. Avoid excessive glare from sunlight or artificial sources, as it can strain your eyes and lead to discomfort.
- Healthy Diet: Eat a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and stay hydrated. Some nutrients and vitamins are beneficial for maintaining eye health and overall health and wellbeing. Include foods like leafy greens, citrus fruits, fish, and nuts in your diet.
- Protect Your Eye: Shield your eyes from harmful UV rays by wearing sunglasses that provide UV protection when outdoors. Additionally, use safety goggles when engaging in activities that could cause eye injury.
- Take Breaks: If you spend a lot of time in front of a screen or performing nearby tasks, give your eyes regular breaks. Follow the 20-20-20 rule: every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds to reduce eye strain.
Small lifestyle changes can have a big impact on your eye health. By following these simple tips and maintaining regular eye care, you can enjoy good vision and quality of life as you age. And don’t forget the basics: keep your glasses clean to help you avoid obstacles and help prevent trips and falls.
Take care of your eyes—they are your windows to the world!
To find out more about of supports and services for Ageing Deaf and hard of hearing people, see our services information page here.